The Random Comic Strip

The Random Comic Strip

Words to live by...

"How beautiful it is to do nothing, and to rest afterward."

[Spanish Proverb]

Ius luxuriae publice datum est

(The right to looseness has been officially given)

"Everyone carries a part of society on his shoulders," wrote Ludwig von Mises, "no one is relieved of his share of responsibility by others. And no one can find a safe way for himself if society is sweeping towards destruction. Therefore everyone, in his own interest, must thrust himself vigorously into the intellectual battle."

Apparently, the crossword puzzle that disappeared from the blog, came back.


Thursday, December 20, 2012

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!




A number of things run through my mind as I sit down to write something, anything, to post on this blog. Most of them simply run through and fall out that gaping hole somewhere in the back of my head but, occasionally, one gets snagged on the dangerous reefs that sit just below the surface. And it is never as good as it first seemed.



 

I am familiar with hidden reefs. I was once young, healthy, and a surfer. I am old now and wouldn't even try to surf again. Even though I am aging quickly now, I am not growing more stupid. I think I have reached the heights of stupidity and there is just nowhere more to go in that regard.

But getting back to reefs... Coral reefs are living things, they tell me, and I have no reason not to believe them. They may seem like dead, inanimate rocks but the coral is actually alive. Even reefs which are dead, there is all manner of life living in, around, and on them.

My own experience with reefs is limited to trying to walk across one that had a foot or so water above it. Barefoot. Trying to grab my surfboard before the reef chewed it up and made it near useless. I learned a valuable lesson that day... reefs hurt!

I have done a little snorkeling around reefs and wonder at the beauty and magic of them.

Visit one on your next vacation to the Caribbean or Mexico. Or if you are lucky to live near one.


No comments: